I have made my own online SID player.
But then I checked out Jürgen Wothke’s WebSID and it was at a level I found satisfying. It can play all sorts of tunes with weird timings, including digi tunes. Only BASIC tunes are not supported (sod those) as well as 2SID/3SID tunes (a shame but I can live with that for now).
Later, I also added Hermit’s jsSID emulator, and it can play those 2SID/3SID tunes.
Another reason I wanted to make my own SID player was that I didn’t really like most of the existing ones, offline and online. Many are small and doesn’t offer a lot of info, or it’s hidden away in windows and tabs. I wanted to create a player that was KISS while also offering all the useful info at a glance.
The features are as follows:
- Folders show number of SID files in each (excluding nested folders)
- SID file rows show year composed and what player it was made in (and often specific too)
- If a SID file has sub tunes, this too is indicated in the file row
- You can log in and rate folders and SID files with 5-star ratings
- Sort a folder list by name, player, rating or year
- Fast forward button for 8x playing speed (the type that has to be held down)
- Time bar that also respects fast forwarding and time wrapping
- When the time is up for a song, the next sub tune or SID file is automatically played
- Information box with name, author, copyright as well as PAL/NTSC and SID chip model flags
- STIL box information with nice HTML formatting
- Responsive design that flexes the height of the playlist according to the browser/device
- Direct file linking (for example, click here to hear my old “Michelle” tune)
- Choice between Jürgen Wothke’s WebSid emulator or Hermit’s jsSID emulator.
I have plans for extending this player a lot in the future:
- Visualizer in the big open space to the right, improving upon the SID Visualizer ideas
- Custom folder lists in addition to the three HVSC root folders on the first browse level
- Exporting to CSV so user can see their star ratings for HVSC files in e.g. Excel
Note: The player is currently silent on iPhone/iPad. There’s a hack to circumvent a tapping requirement, but sadly audio only works for a few seconds with it. I’m postponing further experiments until Apple have released their next major iOS update.
- Facebook: CheeseCutter SID music editor
- Facebook: SID Trackers
- Facebook: C64/128 (6581/8580) Music
- Facebook: Amiga + C64 Scene Intros + Demos
- Facebook: C64/Amiga scene
- Facebook: Lemon64
- Facebook: C64 Elite
- Facebook: C64 SID Music & Remixes
- Lemon 64
- Reddit: /r/c64
- Reddit: /r/chiptunes
May 20, 2018: Custom folders are now possible. Added the first one for HVSC Favorite Top 100.
May 19, 2018: You can now toggle the SID emulator with a corner button in the bottom search area.
May 18, 2018: The
?search= and (optional)
&type= parameters can now also be used to search.
May 17, 2018: Search has been added in the bottom along with a choice between six different types.
May 16, 2018: Added Hermit’s jsSID emulator. Click the “Hermit” link in the credits box to enable.
May 16, 2018: The info box now shows a permalink for copying the URL of the SID currently playing.
May 15, 2018: Upgraded the WebSid emulator which fixes a bug with flawed ring mod and sync.
May 14, 2018: The PAL/NTSC and 6581/8580 flag boxes can now be clicked to toggle emulator settings.
May 13, 2018: Upgraded the ScriptProcessor to v1.03c. This should fix issues in Google Chrome.
May 13, 2018: Added a toggle button for looping a tune indefinitely.
May 13, 2018: A
?file= parameter can now go to a folder (case sensitive) or play a SID file.
May 12, 2018: First version released.